I’m Darien, author of the popular novels, The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society, Friendship Bread, and An Avalon Christmas. I also write about creativity and writing, and have one nonfiction book that won an award I’m proud of. I kicked off my career writing under the name Mia King.
I live in upcountry Waimea on the Island of Hawai‘i with my husband and our three children. When I’m not corralling stories or kids, I’m figuring out what to make for dinner.
My days are spent homeschooling my two young boys, picking up my daughter from water polo, curating recipes for the Friendship Bread Kitchen, and dishing out business and marketing advice to small-business owners. I also moonlight as food photographer and work with aspiring and established authors to help them get their words out into the world. Oh, and I also write novels.
I like to challenge myself and I’m always learning, sometimes the hard way. I used to love to travel, but now I love staying home even more. I’m a Libra Monkey, an INFP, a recovering chocoholic. I was born in St. Louis, Missouri, I’ve lived and worked all over Asia, I went to Miss Porter’s School, Wellesley College, and Rice University. I’m about to turn 50. What else? Check out the links below and if you still want to know more, drop me a message. ♥
YADDA YADDA YADDA
- I’m interviewed on 89.3 FM KIPO Hawai‘i Public Radio (skip forward to 47:26) here
- I’m interviewed on 89.7 FM WUWM Milwaukee Public Radio here
- I’m interviewed on 91.7 FM KCHO Chico Public Radio here
- I’m interviewed on Amy’s Table (No. 122) on iTunes here
- I’m interviewed on Layout a Day, the Simple Scrapbooking Podcast with Lain Ehmann here
AND ANOTHER THING
- I’m interviewed at USATODAY.com about my dream cast for the The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society
- Visit the Random House Reader’s Circle to learn about the inspiration behind Friendship Bread
- I answer 10 Questions at Barnes & Noble
- I talk about the writer’s life and the 7 things I’ve learned so far at Writer’s Digest