ALLEGIANCE takes the Bronze Medal in the Essay category for the 2021 IPPY Awards!June 2, 2021
- Launching in 2022: A MONTH OF MICRO. Daily prompts delivered straight to your inbox for 30 days. Work at your own pace or write daily for 15 minutes a day. Includes “Mastering Micro: How to Write Stunning Micro Prose” and a review of two micro pieces written during the month. Sign up now to be notified of when registration opens.
- 👩🏻🏫 November 10, 2021: “Memoir Methods & Structures: How to Discover the Stories of Your Life.” 11:30 am – 12:45 pm HST. I’ll discuss the different ways you can structure your memoir, exploring traditional and innovative forms that reflect your life experiences. We’ll look at the use of family memorabilia and found objects, recipes, photographs, emails/letters, as well as when to use long-form narratives and short vignettes. Registered participants will receive a one-page cheat sheet PDF download.
- 👩🏻💻 October 19, 2021: “Paths to Publication: Alternatives to Traditional Publishing,” presented by the Authors Guild as part of their Business Bootcamp for Writers series. With Tara Cremin (Director of Kobo Writing Life), Mark Leslie Lefebvre (author and publishing expert), L. Penelope (author), Brooke Warner (publisher of She Writes Press, and me. Moderated by Jane Friedman. The webinar is free and will be recorded.
- 👩🏻💻 August 21, 2021: Woodhall Press Writers Conference. 11:00 am EST “Panel Discussion: The Future of Writing (and Publishing)” with Jane Friedman (publishing expert), Eugenia Kim (author), Jeff Palicki (IPG), Ahsleigh Renard (author), and me on what’s next for writers and publishing.
- 👩🏻🏫 August 10, 2021 – August 31, 2021 (4 sessions, 1:10-3:10 pm PST): “Writing about the Women in Your Family” Writing Workshop, Hugo House
- 🎧 Listen (August 2, 2021): Asian America Podcast with Ken Fong | Darien Hsu Gee: A Micro Essay Memoir
- June 2, 2021: “Courtyard” featured on Poems.com as their June 2, 2021 Poetry Daily selection.
- 📖 July – August 2021 Issue, Ke Ola Magazine | Darien Hsu Gee: Crafting Ideas into Captivating Stories by Fern Gavelek
- 🥉 June 2021: ALLEGIANCE takes the Bronze Medal in the Essay category for the 2021 IPPY Awards!
- 🎧 Listen (May 22, 2021): Cookbook Love Podcast l Episode 142: Being a Cookbook Writer: Interview with Writer and Friendship Bread Expert Darien Gee
- 👩🏻🏫 May 11, 2021 – June 1, 2021 (4 sessions, 1:10-3:10 pm PST, SOLD OUT): “Writing about the Women in Your Family” Writing Workshop, Hugo House
- 📖 May 7, 2021: “What to Read When You Want Subversive Remakes,” The Rumpus: “Hsu Gee ultimately makes flesh her family, her history, and her complete self. These poems are a quiet but potent antidote to the willful erasure of women’s—and especially women of color’s—histories, agency, and truth.”
- 👩🏻💻 April 22, 2021 12:00 pm HST – “Where We Find Our Stories and What to Do Next: Legacy, Obligation, and Inspiration in Personal Narratives,” Brown Bag Biography, Center for Biographical Research at the University of Hawai’i, Mānoa
- 👩🏻💻April 1, 2021 4:00 pm PST – Warwick’s Presents “Gina Barreca in Conversation with Darien Hsu Gee” via Facebook Live
- 👩🏻💻WATCH THE REPLAY (and get the handouts): “Micro Memoir Webinar and Mini Workshop,” register here: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/ao7o4wiq
- March 22, 2021 2:00 pm HST – Q&A with Darien Hsu Gee on Facebook Live, 808 Writers
- 📖 March 2, 2021 – Release date, “Lesson Plans 01-03: On Age Dropping, Botox, and Being an Asian-American Woman at Fifty” in Fast Funny Women: 75 Flash Essays of Flash Nonfiction, edited by Gina Barreca (Woodhall Press)
- 👩🏻💻 March 1, 2021 8:00 -10:00 am EST – Darien is the Poet Laureate of the Day at The Brooklyn Rail (Zoom): “Artfare: Empowering Artists + New Ways of Discovering Art“
- February 22, 2021 2:00 pm HST – “Inside the Writers Studio: A Conversation and Q&A with Darien Hsu Gee,” Hawaii Writers Guild on YouTube Live
- 👩🏻💻 Darien interviewed on JaneFriedman.com on creative pivots, starting over, and crafting a literary life (January 19, 2021)
- 👏🏼 Review: Allegiance in SmokeLong Quarterly: “An elegant emotional truth.” (December 28, 2020)
- 🎧 Darien featured on Hawaiʻi Public Radio, “The Conversation,” reading from Allegiance and talking about family ties, estrangement, and reconnection (December 17, 2020)
- 🎧 Darien interviewed on Hawaiʻi Public Radio, “The Conversation,” about launching her micro memoir writing and hybrid publishing program, Haliʻa Aloha, and a new way of telling stories (December 15, 2020)
- 📖 “Darien Hsu Gee: Making the Most Out of Micro” on creative pivots, reconnection, and writing small. Author spotlight in Writer’s Digest
- 📖 “Providence” (from Allegiance) appears in The Common: “I know the many names one can be called.”
- 🎧 Darien in a Salon Exclusive podcast episode on Damian Barr’s Literary Salon (UK)
- 📖 Allegiance excerpted in HYPHEN: Asian American Unbridged: “[A] gorgeous narrative of Asian diasporic experiences.” –Grace Jahng Lee, Nonfiction Editor
- 🎧 Listen: Darien reads from Allegiance and Other Small Histories, talks about writing and family secrets, and shares a playlist that includes the music that inspired her, at It’s Lit with PHDJ.
- 🎧 Listen: Darien in conversation with Brad Listi on the popular literary podcast of OTHERPPL
- 📖 Darien Hsu Gee on “Afterlife,” In Their Own Words, Poetry Society of America
- 👏🏼 Review: “Taut and lyrical.” —Kirkus Reviews
- 👏🏼 Review: “Arresting…this poignant, poetic memoir will draw readers in.” –Editor’s Pick, BookLife (Publisher’s Weekly)
- November 13, 2020, 6:00 – 7:30 PM EST – (ZOOM) Darien is a featured guest for Friday Night salon with GIRLS WRITE NOW – “Amplifying Our Truth by Writing Micro Narratives” (includes three live writing prompts) – watch the full archive
- November 12, 2020, 6:30 PM EST – Reading (ZOOM): Pacific Lutheran University
- 📸 November 11, 2020 – November 17, 2020 – Author-in-residence on Instagram for the Chicago Review of Books, @chicagorevbooks @darienhsugee
- October 26, 2020, 6:30 PM EST – Reading and Discussion (ZOOM): School of Humanities, Purchase College, SUNY
- 📸 August 11, 2020 – Interview and conversation with David LeGere, publisher at Woodhall Press on writing, Fast Funny Women, and writing micro: PUBLISH THIS! (Instagram)
- 2020 Pushcart Prize nomination, “A Great Grandmother, Name Unknown,” New Delta Review
- Winner, 2019 Poetry Society of American Chapbook Fellowship (selected by Patricia Smith)